Submitted by a Bake A Batch for Wings of Providence baker who wishes to remain anonymous. Thanks for being part!
2 cups cake flour (or all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 lb. butter (do not substitute margarine)
- Sift flour, measure and sift with icing sugar and cornstarch.
- Put this in a bowl and work with the fingers until thoroughly blended.
- Add the butter – be sure that the butter is cold to start with, working quickly, blending with your fingers, so that the mixture does not become warm and oily.
- Pat the stiff mixture into a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Prick the entire surface with a sharp fork.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cut in small squares while still hot. Makes approx. 2 dozen squares.
1/2 lb. butter = 1 cup = 225 grams